AZOTUSLAND

Currently at 90,000 words, 215 typewritten pages, and almost done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Artist, writer, visionary and head of Azotus Consulting and Marintowns.com

Monday, November 28, 2005

AZOTUSLAND Chapter Seventy-Four

Later Jim came out and most had gone but he spied Volosky who was hanging around. Jim came over and thanked him for his words and help.

"I'd have busted your chops if you messed with me," he said. "Let me call you tomorrow or come by."

Jim shook his hand and then went out on the deck and lighted a cigarette. Roo came out to say goodnight and laughed at him. "You don;t smoke."

"Yes, I do," he coughed roughly. She rolled her eyes and said "nice dinner sport."

Rachel came to the door. Tall, quiet, curious and unique. Jim felt her presence immediately. He looked up, gulped and looked away for a minute. She didn't move. Then he gently patted the seat next to him and she came over and said "can I have one too?"

"You smoke?"

"Nope...you?"

"Nope."

"Did you read the weird story before that one about John the Baptist and Jesus?" she asked.

"Yep."

"It ends with 'wisdom is vindicated by all her children..'"

"Yep."

"How many children do you suppose that is?" Rachel asked.

"I have no idea," he said exhaling smoke and coughing a little.

"Do you think all roads lead to the same truth?"

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"Hmnnn..that surprises me, especially after tonight. I was actually, during the 'hair scene' getting a little hot."

Jim laughed and banged out a cigarette for her and lighted it. Then he poured some Merlot in a cup and gave it to her.

"I'm not drinking any Merlot," she said.

"You like Sideways?" he asked.

"Depends on who I am with."

"Nice Lauren Becall."

"Nice Ralph Lauren."

"Nice, er...I'm out." Jim said. "You wanna know more?"

"Yes."

"You want the job?"

"No."

"No?"

"No. I am more intrigued now. How is it that you see the way you see?"

"I cannot explain it. I have taught others."

"How many?"

"Nine."

"How are they all doing?"

"Better than me."

He slipped of his shoes then toes his socks off and stubbed out his cigarette. She plopped off her shoes and put her bare feet next to his.

"In the story, you are the woman aren't you?"

Jim was shocked like a truck had slammed into him.

She touched his hand as he got up. He choked out, "It's not you Rachel," and headed for the door. Maugham saw him and knew the look. Jim ran down the stairs and through the Gallery and into Silo 3. He closed the door but did not lock it. He sank down and washed his face in the koi pond and his favorite goldfish, 10Cents came up as if to kiss him. They exchanged a look and Jim went to the air mattress and collapsed.

2 Comments:

Blogger tabitha jane said...

sideways!

that jim . . . he's so sensitive. i like it. but it must be rough for him.

November 28, 2005 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if Jim felt he had a bullseye on him? Strange when others can see to the core.

November 28, 2005 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home