AZOTUSLAND

Currently at 90,000 words, 215 typewritten pages, and almost done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Artist, writer, visionary and head of Azotus Consulting and Marintowns.com

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

AZOTUSLAND Chapter Seventy-nine

"Do you believe in God," Martine asked him quietly as they lay in bed.

"I'm not sure," Maugham said in a whisper. "But Jim does and that's good enough for me I guess."

"I dunno," she sighed.

"Hey, you believe in God," Maugham said with a grin at her.

"What?"

"Sure you were praying six hours ago," he smirked. "Oh God...oh God ...oh huh huh huh, hoooooyawoooooh God!" he mimicked lightly.

She slapped his chest and pouted as a gag. And he pulled her naked body in closer to his and put his feet under hers and enveloped her.

***********

Jim had falled asleep in his big chair in Silo 2 around 1 a.m. He had once again wrestled with his way of being. While he had made significant changes, the core was untouched. It still had an odd "Jim-ness" to it that he both enjoyed and also despised. At Midnight and just for fun he qued up The Balled of John and Yoko closed his eyes and just listned to the words.

There was a vulnerable fearless in Lennon that inspired him, and for all the shit Lennon had taken about faith issues, Jim knew this man for all his faults, was in a love/hate relationship with God that no pastor or priest he had ever met could rival. Lennon's own denunciation of dead religion was actually mirrored in the Bible. He was a prophet as Jim saw it.

But what was he? A pied piper?

He thought about the Rev. Tanka, and about his own mentors that way. The Rev. Corban who was such a fire and was almost like two different people in public and in person. Using a familair analogy, Corban was like Patton. An unyielding force who never second-guessed himself and whose troops thundered into battle with heavy losses and casualties.

The second has been a theology professor named Dr. Johnson Hughes. A man of immense intellectual capacity but and even bigger heart. He took would make tremendous gains, but like Bradley, his troops loved him and their were fewwer casualties along the way and a deeper "band of brothers" was formed and lasted to this day.

And here was Jim, once again in the belly of Azotus, unsure as always og what his own calling was and hearing only that faith, hope and love were crucial.

************

The cafe was in full swing when Jim walked in at 7 a.m. Dirk was being trained by Roo, who had swapped with Renata. Ward was there putting in some extra hours and Jim went over and gave him a bear hug and thanked him for pitching in.

"Hey big mister!" Jim heard and turned to see Alice smiling. "Yer pool-thingy is gonna be done tomorrow and set but Tuesday. That's when we test."

"You are a wonder," Jim said. "What about the lighting?"

"Oh Jim...yer an idiot," she said laughing and turned to go find a good seat.

"Sahib?" Manfred said coming up quick. "There is the most honorable Ted-ness waiting for you not in a state of joyfulness on the deck."

"Thank you Manfred," Jim said. "Can you brink me a double Americano black out there in a few minutes?"

"Yes, indeed."

Jim walked past some folks. Said hi to Templar and River over by the window. He reminded them quietly that Witness was this Thursdays Azotus Movie Night and to sign up if interested.

When Jim came out on the deck it was beautiful. Azotus faced East so the sunrises were ribbed with streaks of gold, red, blue and pink and all framed by the dark woods of the valley.

Ted looked perturbed as he looked into his tea.

Jim sat down next to him and looked out for awhile.

Ted stirred restlessly.

"It's a trick, he's a Catholic and a heretic!" Ted growled.

Jim waited a moment and Manfred brought out his Americano. He thanked him and Manfred looked at him worried and Jim rolled his eyes at Manfred and he scampered off.

"The Rev. Tanka or Leon?"

What did you find heretical?" Jim asked Ted.

"It was antiquated," Ted said.

"So is Richard Baxter, you wouldn't call him a heretic," Jim said.

Ted did not know who Richard Baxter was so he didn't bother.

"What did you find offensive?" Jim asked softly.

"Nothing," said Ted. "It was just foreign to me."

"Understood," said Jim as he took a swig and looked out as the canvas lighted up and the air got colder.

"Can I ask you a personal question Ted?" Jim asked finally.

"Yes, if I can ask you one later."

"Fair enough. Only ask mine first...it might help us along if you know what I mean."

"This is just between us?" Ted asked.

"Yes Ted, I rather insist upon it." Jim answered.

"You are not who you appear to be," Ted said flatly.

"Well who do I appear to be Ted?"

"You appear to be a Liberal," he said.

"Well I amthat," Jim said.

"But you also read theology," Ted stammered.

"Yes, I see no contradiction," Jim said.

"You confuse me,"

"Yes well I often confuse myself," Jim replied. "So on that we are both agreed."

"Are you serious about this proposal?"

"Yes, or I would never have brought it up."

"You want me to run this effort?" Ted pleaded.

"Now that you have a taste, do you want to lead this effort?"

"Yes, I do...but you knew that Jim...that I would want to..."

"Yes, I suspected."

"Why?"

"Because underneath your judgment of other people is a heart that wants to simply love God and believe." Jim said.

Ted was quiet for awhile. H e was rummaging through the various discussions he had with the Rev. Tanka the week before he died and how utterly foolish they were, yet how somehow he was changed by them.

Jim sipped his coffee and admired the day uprising. Ted sighed heavily and finally said. "I'll do it."

3 Comments:

Blogger E. Heroux said...

Mac:
Kudos on winning the marathon award! I wish that I could force myself to sit down and write every day again -- that's how I did my dissertation anyway, writing every day all day for 3 months. Perhaps you'll inspire me. Still, remember that one writer, A.J. Liebling, quipped: "I can write faster than anybody who can write better."

As for the purple prose, I'm told that it's a phase all writers have to write their way through. Some decide that it isn't a phase.
OK, that's it for my instant critical commentary. Your characters and dialogue make me nostalgic for the good old days in Santa Cruz among the '80s remnant of bohemia... Let me know when I can buy the paperback. Can I get it signed?

December 06, 2005 9:14 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

oh, me too! i want it signed too! :)

i just saw rent for the first time (just the film, not the play) and the song "la vie bohem" made me nostalgic for something i have never had (the 80s remnant of bohemia) was i born at the wrong time?

December 06, 2005 12:53 PM  
Blogger kotamaris said...

Da-yum! That Martine is one lucky chica! Thanks for providing me with a great rainy-day read.

December 06, 2005 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home